Version française
Home     About     Download     Resources     Contact us
Browse thread
*s ignored on windows gui
[ Home ] [ Index: by date | by threads ]
[ Search: ]

[ Message by date: previous | next ] [ Message in thread: previous | next ] [ Thread: previous | next ]
Date: -- (:)
From: Tiago Dionizio <tngd81@g...>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] *s ignored on windows gui
Hi,

thanks for looking into it :)

i see now why they were being trimmed, since the command line being
used is not interactive and gets the input buffer as a whole it will
output prompt characters for each line given on the "prompt".

As i see it, the ocaml toplevel could have a new option to turn the
prompt generation *off* so it didn't generate the prompt at all,
another way (the dirty way) would be to count input lines and delete
on the output 2 characters per input line (generated prompt chars). I
don't how you are doing it now. But i think both options could work.

Tiago

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:12:03 -0400, Christopher A. Watford
<christopher.watford@gmail.com> wrote:
> #
>   print_char '*';;
> *- : unit = ()
> #
>   print_string "   3 spaces";;
> _-_3 spaces- : unit = ()
> #
> I turned the spaces in the last example into an alternating pattern so
> you could see nothing got trimmed! I'll get this code into CVS.
> As always, if you want the bleeding edge of OCamlWinPlus, I suggest
> you check out (that is my actual VS.Net project directory):
> http://projects.tunkeymicket.com/OCamlWinPlus/Release/
> If you'd like the more stable side of the bleeding edge (stable
> directory on my webserver that only takes polished copies):
> http://dorm.tunkeymicket.com/OCamlWinPlus/Release/
> Hope that helps!
> Chris
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:21:56 -0400, Christopher A. Watford
> <christopher.watford@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here is some output from my recently applied changes:
> > # print_string "**e";;
> > **e- : unit = ()
> > # print_char '*';;
> > *- : unit = ()
> > # print_char '\t';;
> > - : unit = ()
> > #
> >  print_char '*';;
> >   *- : unit = ()
> > #
> > Note the crappy leading space if you use lots of lines.... I'm not
> > sure how I should go about checking for things like that. The old code
> > removed all whilespace leading the output (and those *'s, hehe sorry).
> > Is the desired functionality leaving the output intact? If so the
> > above looks like this:
> > # print_string "**e";;
> > **e- : unit = ()
> > # print_char '*';;
> > *- : unit = ()
> > # print_char '\t';;
> >        - : unit = ()
> > #
> >  print_char '*';;
> >      *- : unit = ()
> > #
> > With only a bunch of leading white space when you use more than 1
> > line. Should I have it detect and remove 1 space for each extra line?
> > The reality of what goes on is accurately shown below:
> > #
> > print_char '*';;
> > *- : unit = ()
> > #
> > Note I used no indentation between lines, and no indentation appeared
> > in my output. I think it would require a bit of extra work, but I
> > might could finagle keeping track of indentation for removal in the
> > output.
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:30:28 -0400, Christopher A. Watford
> > <christopher.watford@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok let me explain why I trim these.
> > >
> > > What happens when some luser forgets to terminate a comment, a string,
> > > etc, the damn redirected shell process puts out either ' *' at the
> > > front of a line, or just extra spaces. The actual variables etc aren't
> > > being trimmed, just the output.
> > >
> > > I'll try and work around having to trim those with some more
> > > intelligent checks for user input failures.
> > >
> > > Thanks for pointing out that bug! Keep them coming!
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:38:02 +0000, Tiago Dionizio <tngd81@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > I didn't try with 3.07, only started working with OCaml recently.
> > > > Although this is a very rough attempt on locating the problem, this
> > > > might have something to do with it:
> > > > on file win32caml/ocaml.c around the line 1319 here is what i found:
> > > > ...
> > > > case WM_TIMERTICK:
> > > >                /** Modified by Chris Watford 21 Sept 2003 **/
> > > >                        hwndChild = (HWND) GetWindowLong(hwnd, DWL_USER);
> > > >
> > > >                        if (ReadToLineBuffer())
> > > >                        {
> > > >                                int errMsg = 0;
> > > >                                char *p, *l = lineBuffer;
> > > >                                // Ok we read something. Display the
> > > > trimmed version
> > > >                                while(((*l) == ' ') || ((*l) == '\t')
> > > > || ((*l) == '\n') || ((*l) == '\r') || ((*l) == '*'))
> > > >                                        l++;
> > > > ...
> > > > I have no idea why it trims empty spaces and the *'s. There may be a
> > > > good reason for this to happen.. but i did get very confused when this
> > > > happened to me the first time.
> > > > Tiago
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:06:01 -0700, David Brown <caml-list@davidb.org> wrote:
> > > > > On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:49:20PM +0200, Alex Baretta wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > ># print_string "**e";;
> > > > > > >e- : unit = ()
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Try flushing stdout.
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't think it will help, since the 'e' is getting printed, just not the
> > > > > '*'s before it.  I don't see anything in the source that looks like it
> > > > > would cause this problem, but there might be something subtle.  Did it
> > > > > happen with 3.07?  The windows code changed quite a bit between.
> > > > >