Re: Irrelevant variables in patterns

Chet Murthy (murthy@pauillac.inria.fr)
Sat, 28 May 1994 13:05:35 +0200

To: Christophe Raffalli <cr@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Irrelevant variables in patterns
Date: Sat, 28 May 1994 13:05:35 +0200
From: Chet Murthy <murthy@pauillac.inria.fr>

CR> I understand your "point de vue". But then to catch the
CR> mispelling of an exception, the only solution I can see is a
CR> different syntax for constructors and variables at least in
CR> pattern (a quote in front of the constructeur in pattern
CR> only).

Yes - Daniel de Rauglaudre suggests (and I agree) that we capitalize
constructors, and not capitalize variables.

Another simple solution is to disallow variables in case/match/try
which do not actually occur in the body. If you really want to have
such variables around, then put an underscore in front of the name.

--chet--