Re: Why no macros in CAML Light ?

U-E59264-Osman Buyukisik (Osman.Buyukisik@ae.ge.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:00:45 -0500

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:00:45 -0500
From: U-E59264-Osman Buyukisik <Osman.Buyukisik@ae.ge.com>
To: caml-list@margaux.inria.fr
Subject: Re: Why no macros in CAML Light ?

"Vale'rie" == Vale'rie Me'nissier-Morain <Valerie.Menissier@inria.fr> writes:

>> Even simpler: use the C preprocessor itself! (with the -P
>> option) I know, it is tractable only under Unix, and using
>> Makefiles...
Vale'rie> Furthermore cpp is not 8bits clean but Caml Light is so
Vale'rie> it would be a limitation to the expressivity of Caml

Well, cpp worked ok as long as the weird chars (:))are not used in
macros or #define/#ifdef. Unmatched single quotes will produce
warnings but cause no problems. As for m4, quotes may be a problem,
need to be redefined (to what I dont know). BTW cpp is multi platform,
I use it on DOS machines (same command line as unix: gcc -x c -E -P).

Osman