Chamau

Daniel de Rauglaudre (ddr@peray.inria.fr)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:46:21 +0100 (MET)

From: Daniel de Rauglaudre <ddr@peray.inria.fr>
Subject: Chamau
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:46:21 +0100 (MET)

We are experimenting (concrete) syntactical aspects of Caml such as
quotations, extensible grammars. As a first result of this
experimentation, we distribute Chamau, based on the Caml Special Light
compiler and interactive system.

The original features of Chamau are:

- a new concrete syntax, more consistent, with less ambiguities
(easier to learn, if not easier to use)

- quotations: to give a user-defined concrete syntax to
arbitrary data structures

- extensible grammars: to obtain parsers from grammar
specification. These grammars are extensible, and can therefore be
used in applications where the user may need to extend the
syntax of the application interface (e.g. theorem provers)

- the concrete syntax of Chamau is itself extensible, enabling
the programmer to define his/her own programming constructs (or to
redefine the whole syntax of the language!).

Chamau being an experimental system, we strongly encourage you to send
us your opinion, feedback and bug reports to:

chamau@pauillac.inria.fr

The distribution can be obtained by anonymous ftp from:

host: ftp.inria.fr (192.93.2.54)
directory: lang/chamau

Thanks,

Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE