Re: Class variables in O'Caml??? + questions

Jerome Vouillon (vouillon@clipper.ens.fr)
Mon, 13 May 1996 18:36:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 18:36:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Jerome Vouillon <vouillon@clipper.ens.fr>
Subject: Re: Class variables in O'Caml??? + questions
To: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de>

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Thorsten Ohl wrote:

> Christian> IMO, the use of references is not so unnatural. Together
> Christian> with structs, it provides a clean way to encapsulate global
> Christian> state and actions for classes.
>
> Sure, it us possible to do it. But, IMHO, class variables should be
> declared in the class and be opaque. If you put several classes in a
> module, the use of module wide references makes much less sense.
> Another hack is to define a sub-module for each class, but that's not
> nice either ...
>
> I'm just curious if (and why) this syntactic sugar has been left out
> intentionally.

It has not been left out intentionally. Many object-oriented languages
(C++, Objective C and Modula 3, for instance) do not have class variables,
so I did not even thought of adding them.
But I do not plan to implement class variables. I don't want to add too
many features, and I don't think they are an important one: in my
opinion, they are not commonly used, and they can be easily simulated
using references as you noticed.

Jerome Vouillon