From: Xavier Leroy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Objective Caml 1.01
To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:35:03 +0200 (MET DST)
Release 1.01 of Objective Caml is now available.
This is a bug-fix release that corrects the main problems
reported with 1.00. The main changes are:
* Object-oriented extensions:
instance variables can now be omitted in class types;
some error messages have been made clearer;
several bugs fixes.
* Typing: better report of type incompatibilities;
non-generalizable type variables in a struct...end no longer flagged
immediately as an error;
name clashes during "open" avoided.
* Fixed bug in output_value where identical data structures
could have different external representations; this bug caused wrong
"inconsistent assumptions" errors when checking compatibility of
interfaces at link-time.
* Standard library: fixed bug in Array.blit on overlapping array sections.
* Unmarshaling from strings now working.
* ocamlc, ocamlopt: new flags -intf and -impl to force compilation as
an implementation/an interface, regardless of file extension;
overflow bug on wide-range integer pattern-matchings fixed.
* ocamlc: fixed bytecode generation bug causing problems with compilation
units defining more than 256 values
* ocamlopt, all platforms:
fixed GC bug in "let rec" over data structures;
link startup file first, fixes "undefined symbol" errors with some
* ocamlopt, Intel x86:
more efficient calling sequence for calling C functions;
floating-point wars, chapter 5: don't use float stack for holding
float pseudo-registers, stack-allocating them is just as efficient.
* ocamlopt, Alpha and Intel x86: more compact calling sequence for garbage
* ocamllex: generated automata no longer use callbacks for refilling
the input buffer (works better with threads); character literals
correctly skipped inside actions.
* ocamldep: "-I" directories now searched in the right order
* Thread library: incompatibilities with callbacks, signals, and
dynamic linking removed; scheduling bug with Thread.wait fixed.
* New "dbm" library, interfaces with NDBM.
The complete sources, binaries for Windows, and diffs from 1.00 are
available by anonymous FTP at the usual place
General info about Objective Caml can be found on the Web, at
- Xavier Leroy