Re: ocamldep

Xavier Leroy (xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:33:42 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Xavier Leroy <xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: ocamldep
To: e-posse@argos.uniandes.edu.co
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:33:42 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hello everybody. I have been having a little trouble with the Dependency
> Generator ocamldep that comes in the Windows 95 version 1.01 of O'Caml.
> The reference manual says that the typical use of ocamldep should be
> something like this:
>
> ocamldep *.mli *.ml > .depend
>
> The problem is that ocamldep doesn't seem to recognize the *.mli and
> *.ml arguments

Well, the Objective Caml sources come from a Unix background, where
wildcards (*.ml) are expanded by the command shell and the commands
receive an already-expanded argument list. One day I may add
command-line expansion in the Objective Caml start-up code, but don't
hold your breath.

> and I have to list explicitly all of my project files but
> I get a "line too long" error from the line command interpreter. (a
> MS-DOS window).

I thought Win32 finally raised the length limit on the command line to
some reasonable value like 4k. At any rate, you can always split the
call to ocamldep thus:

ocamldep [some files] > .depend
ocamldep [more files] >> .depend

Also, a "for" loop may work, for instance

for %i in (*.ml) do ocamldep %i >> .depend

(that's probably the wrong syntax, but you get the idea).

- Xavier Leroy