Re: ocamldep

Ian T Zimmerman (itz@rahul.net)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:27:22 -0700

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:27:22 -0700
From: Ian T Zimmerman <itz@rahul.net>
To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: ocamldep

In article <199607181333.PAA14029@pauillac.inria.fr> Xavier Leroy
<Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> writes:

> > Hello everybody. I have been having a little trouble with the Dependency
> > Generator ocamldep that comes in the Windows 95 version 1.01 of O'Caml.
> > The reference manual says that the typical use of ocamldep should be
> > something like this:
> >
> > ocamldep *.mli *.ml > .depend
> >
> > The problem is that ocamldep doesn't seem to recognize the *.mli and
> > *.ml arguments
>

> Well, the Objective Caml sources come from a Unix background, where
> wildcards (*.ml) are expanded by the command shell and the commands
> receive an already-expanded argument list. One day I may add
> command-line expansion in the Objective Caml start-up code, but
> don't hold your breath.

> > and I have to list explicitly all of my project files but
> > I get a "line too long" error from the line command interpreter. (a
> > MS-DOS window).
>

> I thought Win32 finally raised the length limit on the command line
> to some reasonable value like 4k. At any rate, you can always split
> the call to ocamldep thus:

> ocamldep [some files] > .depend
> ocamldep [more files] >> .depend
>

> Also, a "for" loop may work, for instance
>
> for %i in (*.ml) do ocamldep %i >> .depend
>
> (that's probably the wrong syntax, but you get the idea).

I strongly recommend to the original poster to get djgpp, or at least
the 32 bit perl binary made with djgpp. The syntax Xavier suggests for
a loop won't work with COMMAND.COM, and you'll have a VERY VERY hard
time finding one that does. COMMAND.COM is a shell from hell (rhyme
unintentional) or rather from the early 60's...

                  I When the dead are left to bury the dead,  I
                  I the living remain alone.  Arthur Koestler I