Re: Error messages in Caml &co

Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:50:27 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Error messages in Caml &co
To: basile@mimas.saclay.cea.fr (Basile Starynkevitch - LETR/IA)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:50:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> Just a tiny suggestion for proud caml authors
> Make caml error messages compatible with Emacs conventions, for
> instance compatible with GNU error message convention
> filename:number: error message

> Otherwise, give a hint regarding the value of the Emacs variable for
> parsing error messages; I've added to my ~/.emacs

Recent versions of Emacs (e.g. 19.30) understand perfectly well the
Caml error messages. (I wrote the Emacs maintainers about three years
ago asking them to add the correct regexp for Caml.)

If you're using an old version of Emacs, the caml.el file distributed
along with Caml Light (in contrib/camlmode) adds the correct regexp
for parsing Caml error messages. It also provides a refined
"next-error" function that highlights the error location more
precisely than Emacs normally does.

Ian Zimmerman's "electric" Caml mode for Emacs
(ftp://pauillac.inria.fr/lang/caml-light/Usercontribs)
provides the same support for Caml error messages.

- Xavier Leroy