Re: Documentation on Caml Light runtime

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 18 1997 - 17:59:09 MET

From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Documentation on Caml Light runtime
To: pinkus@comm.mot.com (Pinku Surana)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:59:09 +0100 (MET)

> I would like to make some changes to the Caml Light runtime
> system. Before I begin, I am hoping that someone might have some
> documentation about the structure of the runtime system. This would
> be a tremendous aid as I delve into the code myself. Please email
> any info...

A description of the Caml Light implementation at a very early stage
can be found in the following tech report:

  Xavier Leroy. "The ZINC experiment, an economical implementation of
  the ML language". Technical report 117, INRIA, 1990.
  http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/publi/ZINC.ps.gz

Some parts of the report are still relevant seven years later, such as
the description of the abstract machine. Other parts are hopelessly
out of date.

Some info on the garbage collector is also available at
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~doligez/caml-light-gc/, in particular
an excellent overview written by Peter Sestoft at
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~doligez/caml-light-gc/Sestoft94.txt

Good luck,

- Xavier Leroy