Re: Will the ocaml-1.05 native compiler work on IRIX5.3 ?

From: Xavier Leroy (xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 11:46:22 MET DST

From: Xavier Leroy <xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Will the ocaml-1.05 native compiler work on IRIX5.3 ?
To: esler@PureAtria.com
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:46:22 +0200 (MET DST)

> I noticed that when I configured ocaml-1.05 on my IRIX5.3 system it
> would not build the native code compiler, whereas ocaml-1.04 would.
> Is it really the case that the native compiler is no longer supported
> on IRIX5.3 or is this a bug in the configure script ?

On IRIX, the "configure" script adds the "-32" option to the C compiler,
to make sure that the C parts of OCaml use the same ``old-style
32-bit'' calling conventions that the native-code generator uses.
(I develop on a Power Challenger Array, where the default calling
conventions are 64-bit, so it's necessary to override the default.)

It has been reported to me that the IRIX 5.3 C compiler does not
recognize the "-32" option.So, as a quick fix, I just disabled the
native-code compiler under IRIX 5.

You might try to hack the configure script and asmcomp/proc_mips.ml to
enable the native-code compiler for IRIX 5.3 and remove the "-32" option.
If it works, let me know and I'll merge the changes in the source
tree. There is no way I can test this myself, since all SGI machines I
have access to run IRIX 6.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy