Re: module Set

From: Judicael Courant (Judicael.Courant@ens-lyon.fr)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 17:18:21 MET DST

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:18:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Judicael Courant <Judicael.Courant@ens-lyon.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: module Set

Hello,

>> I would like to use this property ; can't you give us this property in
>> the module Set for the next release ?
>
>I'd rather not. What you're looking for is not sets, but sets with
>some extra ordering properties. Don't use the generic Set package, then.
>Use your own Ordered_set package. (Feel free to cut and paste from
>set.ml to implement it, of course.) Well-defined abstract interfaces
>are more important that code sharing, in my opinion.

Then, I think everybody would be happy with the following solution :

- Jean-Christophe implements an Ordered_set package (by cuting and
  pasting the current Set);

- You integrate it into the next release;

- By the way, you take advantage of this new Ordered_set module to
  replace the implementation of Set by mine (set.mli remains
  unchanged of course) :

(* set.ml *)
(* a very clever implementation of set.mli *)
(* generously put in the public domain by Judicael Courant *)

open Ordered_set

module type OrderedType= OrderedType
module type S = S

module Make = Make
(* That's all folks ! *)

Hence, you have very-well defined abstract interfaces together with
code sharing. Isn't that a very good solution ?

:-)

Judicael.

--
Judicael.Courant@ens-lyon.fr, http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~jcourant/