The Objective Label Trilogy, version 1.06

From: Jacques GARRIGUE (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 12:42:54 MET

To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: The Objective Label Trilogy, version 1.06
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:42:54 +0900
From: Jacques GARRIGUE <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

This is our pleasure to announce

              The Objective Label Trilogy, version 1.06

                Objective Label / LablTk / LablBrowser

Objective Label is an extension of Objective Caml with labeled and
optional arguments, and polymorphic variants.

LablTk uses these extensions to provide an almost type safe interface
to Tcl/Tk, such that you can write application in a style very close
to Tcl.

LablBrowser is a programming environment, allowing one to browse code,
both source and compiled, and navigate through it on the basis of
types and compiled interfaces. It also includes an editor, and a
language shell.

The combination of these three elements is a system

  * easy to program, thanks to the libraries and tools

  * producing more readable programs, thanks to labels

  * allowing more precise and lighter typing, thanks to variants

These advantages are not limited to functional programming hackers.
Our experience is that it provides a particularly good environment for
students and beginners, who enjoy the added comfort of the GUI.

The port is complete: all the functionality and tools of Objective
Caml are available.

It is source compatible with O'Caml: any program or library written in
O'Caml can be compiled without modification, and you may even add
labels to interfaces to your taste.

This release should work on any Unix/X windows based system, producing
native code on architectures supported by Objective Caml.

Compiling O'Labl itself under Windows/NT is easy, LablTk rather easy,
but LablBrowser pretty difficult (I have one running). If you are
interested in an NT version please contact me.

This release main goal is to include changes in O'Caml 1.06.
O'Labl itself is now stable, and there were only a few bug fixes.

You may get the O'Labl trilogy (and more information) at

        http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/
        ftp://ftp.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/lang/olabl/olabl-1.06.tar.gz

Comments to

        Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
        Jun Furuse (LablTk) <Jun.Furuse@inria.fr>