O'Caml - GNU MP interface

From: David Monniaux (monniaux@clipper.ens.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 19:24:56 MET

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 19:24:56 +0100 (MET)
From: David Monniaux <monniaux@clipper.ens.fr>
To: Liste CAML <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: O'Caml - GNU MP interface

Hi all,

here's the Christmas release...

Version 0.12 of mlgmp is available on
http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~dmonniau/arcs/mlgmp.tar.gz

As a reminder, GNU MP is a free extended precision library.
mlgmp is an easy-to-use interface between O'Caml and GNU MP,
featuring:

* functional style functions
  with infix abbreviations [from v0.11]
* imperative style functions (in-place assignments) [from v0.10]
  with fine-grained control of precision [from v0.11]
* pretty-printing support for the toplevel
  [automatic installation of that feature from v0.12]

I've got feedback from M. Quercia about the lack of infix operators and
the need of finer precision control operations. The current system only
allows fine-grained control for imperative-style programming.
I'd like to know what are the needs of the users as to the precision
control : should all arithmetic functions be supplemented with a function
taking the precision as an extra argument?
Also, should "from nothing" (as opposed to from_int etc....) initialization
functions be supplied?

As a personnal feedback to the O'Caml development team, I think the
installation of pretty-printers from extension packages such as mlgmp is
for now a bit too "hackish" (I had to use several undocumented features).

-- D. Monniaux