Overloading

From: Brian Rogoff (bpr@best.com)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 22:02:19 MET

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:02:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Overloading

(My apologies for the lack of a French version of this message)

Hi Caml'ers,
        One of the things I miss the most when I'm working in Caml is
overloading. There are numerous situations, such as arithmetic, linear
algebra (where I may want multiplication between scalars, vectors,
matrices, and higher order tensors), I/O (read/write/open), etc. where
it is IMO the "right thing". Are there any plans to add some form of
overloading to Caml in the future? I know that the Haskell folks plan to
remove the single parameter restriction in type classes and gain more
expressiveness in these areas, but none of the ML family of languages
I know of support any overloading.

        My experience with overloading in Ada is almost entirely positive.

-- Brian