Re: Overloading

From: Jun P. Furuse (furuse@cahors.inria.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 18:29:26 MET

To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: Overloading
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:29:26 +0100
From: "Jun P. Furuse" <furuse@cahors.inria.fr>

Brian Rogoff wrote:

> there was some work at adding a form of ad-hoc polymorphism to Caml. It is
> on the Caml page, look for "extensional" polymorphism. I haven't read it
> yet. Perhaps some of the Caml implementors can comment on what it
> describes.

As they described in their paper[1], there is an extended version
of Caml-light for "extensional polymorphism". But I don't know it is
FTP or HTTP-available.

I am now tring to implement ad-hoc polymorphism / overloading on
O'Caml. It will be partially based on the system described in the
paper, but somewhat improved hopefully. I will be able to release a
prototype this summer or at least at the end of this year. But of
course I don't know it will be integrated in the official O'Caml
release...

[1] ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/cristal/Francois.Rouaix/generics.dvi.Z

Jun P. Furuse Jun.Furuse@inria.fr
  INRIA
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique