Re: operational semantics of = for objects

From: Jerome Vouillon (vouillon@clipper.ens.fr)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 15:33:13 MET

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:33:13 +0100 (MET)
From: Jerome Vouillon <vouillon@clipper.ens.fr>
To: Sorin Stratulat <Sorin.Stratulat@loria.fr>
Subject: Re: operational semantics of = for objects

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Sorin Stratulat wrote:

> After comparing the results of the code (see below) executed on
> different versions of OCAML (1.05 and 1.07), I would like to know if
> anybody can explain me how the equality operator works for objects (if
> it is possible in both versions). As I understood from a previous
> message, overloading the operators is not supported yet.

In Ocaml 1.05, the equality operator did not work reliably for
objects. Indeed, objects was not treated specially. So, the operator
structurally compared the structures of the two objects and in some
cases tried to compare two methods and as a consequence failed.

In Ocaml 1.07, two objects are equals iff they are physically equals.

-- Jerome Vouillon