polymorphic printer functions ?

From: Jean-Marie Favre (Jean-Marie.Favre@imag.fr)
Date: Sat May 23 1998 - 18:32:06 MET DST

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 18:32:06 +0200
From: Jean-Marie Favre <Jean-Marie.Favre@imag.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: polymorphic printer functions ?

Hello everybody ...

I'd like to know how to implement polymorphic printer functions.
(I use ocaml 1.07)

I'm writing a library implementing a large subset of the Z library operators
(operations on sets, relations, functions, and so on) and i would like
to be able to install printer functions for printing 'a set, ('a,'b) relations,
etc., (using #install_printer). set, relations being abstract types
constructors.

Writing a polymorphic printer for such structures means to be able to call a
function printing each element.
Is there any function like
  print_value : 'a -> unit
available when using the top level ?