Re: Marshalling of floats

From: Christopher Oliver (oliver@fritz.traverse.com)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 10:13:49 MET DST

Subject: Re: Marshalling of floats
To: Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr (Xavier Leroy)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 04:13:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Christopher Oliver" <oliver@fritz.traverse.com>

> Floats are written in "native" endianness (the natural endianness of
> the machine writing the file), but along with a flag telling which
> endianness is used.

Ouch! That will teach me to read only one piece of code. My common
work usually has me dealing with standardized network representations,
so I missed this strategy completely. [Chris sticks head in bucket.]

> > Harder, does anyone have any good ideas besides conversion to

> The next release of OCaml will use the same format for float arrays in
> native-code and in bytecode, thus solving this problem.

Both compact I hope. Any idea on when this might happen?

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Internet
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108