RE: Caml toplevel thru Web (HTTP or CGI)?

From: Christopher Oliver (oliver@fritz.traverse.net)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 20:18:27 MET DST

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:18:27 -0400
From: Christopher Oliver <oliver@fritz.traverse.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: RE: Caml toplevel thru Web (HTTP or CGI)?

Adam P. Jenkins <ajenkins@javanet.com> writes:

> My two cents. Modifying the ocaml toplevel itself seems like too
> much unnecessary work to me to get an effect like this.
> Even if you do have to write it yourself, it will be more generally
> useful than a web-enabled OCaml toplevel.

Think instead of a programmatically controlled toplevel. I've had
thoughts of a ML environment which is something like the LispM and
Smalltalk environments. I think a toplevel which has hooks for
connecting command input and output to arbitrary routines rather
than simply a chunk of CURSES code would be quite tasty. An expect
program or telnet has to differentiate between input and output
on the basis of string context, and that's easy to confuse. I use
XEmacs/ILisp with CMUCL a fair bit, and sometimes despite being a
great shell, it gets lost.

Thoughts?

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Internet
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108