Re: problem with ocamlmktop -output-obj

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 19:22:43 MET DST

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:22:43 +0200
From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: Thierry Bravier <thierry.bravier@dassault-aviation.fr>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: problem with ocamlmktop -output-obj

> I have encountered a problem while trying to build a toplevel
> (ocamlmktop) linked with
> - external C code and
> - ML code compiled as a C object (-output-obj and implicitely -custom).
> I have no problem when I build an ordinary batch (non-toplevel) program.
> Is this a limitation of the system or I am doing it wrong ?

Toplevels need access to their own symbol table, and they look inside
their executable file to find it. The symbol table information is not
available if -output-obj is selected.

A regular bytecode executable file is composed of several sections:
code, data, symbols, and debug info. Currently, only the first two
are available when a C object is generated instead of a regular
executable file.

For the same reasons, you can't debug a Caml program built with
-output-obj.

Hope this helps,

- Xavier Leroy