Re: Anyone ported OCamlTk to Tcl/Tk 8.0 on Windows?

From: Brian Rogoff (bpr@best.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 20:11:27 MET

Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:11:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com>
To: Francois Pessaux <pessaux@mouton.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Anyone ported OCamlTk to Tcl/Tk 8.0 on Windows?

Hi,
On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Francois Pessaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Has anyone built the the tk library with the latest stable
> > Tcl/Tk release (8.0.3) on Windows NT?
>
> On Windows NT, I don't know. But we updated the ocamktk41-R200 in order
> support Tcl/Tk8.0. I currently use it under Linux without any problem.
> Did you try this version ?

No, and unfortunately it isn't likely that I can switch to Linux.

It appears that the Tcl C interface has changed a bit in going from 7.6 to
8.0, and while the Unix port was not affected the Windows port was. The
relevant sections from the Tcl 8.0.3 distribution are:

    8. Tcl_CreateFileHandler and Tcl_DeleteFileHandler now take Unix
    fd's and are only supported on the Unix platform. Please use the
    Tcl_CreateChannelHandler interface instead.

    9. The C APIs for creating channel drivers have changed as part of
    the new notifier implementation. The Tcl_File interfaces have been
    removed. Tcl_GetChannelFile has been replaced with
    Tcl_GetChannelHandle. Tcl_MakeFileChannel now takes a platform-
    specific file handle. Tcl_DriverGetOptionProc procedures now take
    an additional interp argument.

which affect the file ocamltk41\support\cltkFile.c, which uses the
obsolete Tcl_GetFile function and Tcl_File type. My perusal of the rest
of the sources didn't turn up any other porting issues, but I haven't
tried to rewrite and compile yet.

-- Brian