for loops with stride

From: John Whitley (whitley@cse.buffalo.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 04:21:21 MET

From: John Whitley <whitley@cse.buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:21:21 -0500 (EST)
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: for loops with stride

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier question re:
composition. Quite enlightening discussion... 8-)

On a hopefully less controversial note, I'd like to make a suggestion
for an addition to OCaml for-loops. Consider an optional stride
parameter, as in:

for i = 0 to n-1 by stride do
done

At least in certain signal processing code that I'm working with
presently, the above is a common (and highly convenient) pattern. The
corresponding while loop is simply not as easy to write or understand.

Thanks,
John