thread i/o

From: Michael Hicks (mwh@dsl.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 21:12:32 MET

From: Michael Hicks <mwh@dsl.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: thread i/o
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:12:32 -0500 (EST)

One of the adverisements of OCaml 2.01 was that user-level (not POSIX)
thread I/O is made faster. The trick used in the implementation is to make
sockets non-blocking, and then only perform a select() when the I/O would
have blocked (by signalling EINTR or EWOULDBLOCK). However, looking at the
implementation, it looks like in many cases the select() is performed
anyway. Here is an excerpt from threadUnix.ml:

let rec read fd buff ofs len =
  Thread.wait_read fd;
  try Unix.read fd buff ofs len
  with Unix_error((EAGAIN | EWOULDBLOCK), _, _) -> read fd buff ofs len

The implementation of Thread.wait_read and Thread.wait_write will perform
either a select() or go through the scheduler which will perform the
select(). It seems to me that the implementation should be:

let rec read fd buff ofs len =
  try Unix.read fd buff ofs len
  with Unix_error((EAGAIN | EWOULDBLOCK), _, _) ->
    begin
      Thread.wait_read fd;
      read fd buff ofs len
    end

This way, if I/O is already available, there is no need to do the extra
select(). Am I missing something?
Mike

--
Michael Hicks
Ph.D. Candidate, the University of Pennsylvania