Re: counting words

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 01:34:22 MET

From: Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject: Re: Okasaki's "Purely Functional Data Structures" translated to
To: bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:34:22 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

> I have translated the Random Access List structure, and have
> written equivalents for most of the Ocaml list library functions.
>
> If you wish, I'll send what I have done to you.
>
> I would have liked to translate more of the code, but I am still waiting
> for the book to arrive (I have ordered it several months ago).

As it seems, Okasaki's book is out-of-print at the moment - by some
miracle I was able to get one at our university book shop.

But you need not necessarily wait for the book to get the sources. The
SML- and Haskell-version can be downloaded from his site at:

  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cdo/papers.html

It would be really nice to get your implementations of data structures.
I have not yet come to the Random Access List, although it is certainly
one of the funnier data structures: random access to elements of lists
in O(log n) - I like that!

Until now, OCAML's standard library only contains the most basic data
structures. I am sure many people would like to see some more to choose
from.

As someone has already mentioned, the interfaces of the modules in the
sources are everything else but "fat". They support basic functionality
only. But it shouldn't be too difficult to add some further functions
to make things comfortable - the really tricky things are already mostly
implemented (though, hidden behind module interfaces).

Porting the sources is not difficult - should be possible for people
with basic knowledge in OCAML. I have not yet used SML, but it's (nearly)
always clear, what has to be changed.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--