Prefix operators in ocaml

From: William Chesters (williamc@dai.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 16:47:14 MET

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:47:14 GMT
From: William Chesters <williamc@dai.ed.ac.uk>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Prefix operators in ocaml

Eduardo Gimenez writes:

> Hello,
>
> Which is the "prefix" name in Ocaml for the multiplication on
> integers? The symbols (+), (/), etc. work fine for the other
> arithmetic operations, but the symbol (*) does not.

LOL :) :).

It's because (* begins a comment *).
You have to write ( * ).

This is truly disgusting and is on a par with C++'s "idiom"

        List<Array<int> >

> Similarly, is there any prefix name for the list constructor (a::l) ?
> I am thinking in something like (::) ....

Yes, this is an example where following SML/NJ's habit of treating
constructors more uniformly with functions would be advantageous.
Although for all I know there may be implementation reasons not to do
it.