Re: Looking for a nail

From: Ian T Zimmerman (itz@transbay.net)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 20:20:47 MET

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:20:47 -0800
From: Ian T Zimmerman <itz@transbay.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: Looking for a nail

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:53:53 +0100
> From: Hendrik Tews <tews@irritatie.cs.kun.nl>
>
> 1. Bringing ocamletags to live again. I keep a copy, which compiles
> under 2.01 and reads 2.01 files, but does not create much tags for
> classes. I am willing to through this into the pool (if Francois
> Rouaix agrees).

An etags generator (written in Elisp) is part of current snapshot of
the Emacs subdirectory. It is exactly as precise/correct as the imenu
generator :-) If you want to see it and can't wait for next release,
write me.

> 2. The yacc and lex interface of ocaml could be a tuned up. Some
> ideas:

> - use a oo interface for lexers and parsers, this would provide a
> much butter way of adding state information to lexers and parsers
> [cf Christian Lindig's mail "Proposal for new Lexing Module (long)"
> from Mon, 18 Jan 1999] by simply inheriting from the library
> classes.

No. Sorry, but I don't want to be forced to use classes. I want to
be able to use Ocaml as a "better ML" only. This also applies to
Markus' proposal about the standard library.

> - adding start conditions a la flex to ocamllex

I haven't thought of this really hard, but I bet there is already a
way to do that. If there isn't, I would think hard again to find a
cleaner, more functional (less stateful) way to do it. If the current
condition is kept in a global as in flex, that just drops again the
reentrancy that Christian has been working so hard to achieve.

> - adding a tool for generating perfect hash functions for keyword
> recognition a la gperf; It would be great, if the hash function
> generator could read the set of keywords from annotations in the
> .mly file. I have a rather primitive version, which could be used as
> a starting point.

Yes, I like this one.

--
Ian T Zimmerman                        <itz@transbay.net>
I came to the conclusion that what was wrong about the guillotine