Re: Suggestions

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 28 1999 - 11:50:22 MET

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:50:22 +0100
From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: Jon Moore <jonm@dsl.cis.upenn.edu>, cullenx@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Suggestions

> > Gerd Stolpmann's suggestion that some kind of Corba integretation should be
> > provided is a good one, I think. I'd have more luck using OCaml at
> > work if I could hide it behind IDL. Has anyone investigated Corba or
> > COM bindings for OCaml?
>
> I know similar efforts are ongoing for SML/NJ, and would love to see OCaml
> have this too.

I am currently working on a COM binding for OCaml. The development is
going relatively smoothly so far. In particular, OCaml classes and
objects provide a good match for COM's interfaces -- nicer than what
they have to do in Haskell due to lack of OO support.

However, some problems remain, not the least of which being writing a
parser for this #$^#!! Microsoft IDL language, which seems to double in
size approximately every year.

Stay tuned,

- Xavier Leroy