Re: The Ocaml Link Database

From: Gerd Stolpmann (Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de)
Date: Sat Feb 13 1999 - 17:32:56 MET

From: Gerd Stolpmann <Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de>
To: Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: The Ocaml Link Database
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:32:56 +0100

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, you wrote:

>I entered a link, but the info-link got a wrong prefix. I wanted to
>delete it and it did so - with Jean-Christophe Filliatre's entry! Sorry,
>Jean-Christoph! ;-)

I could not reproduce the problem. I'll add some more checks on error
conditions, and perhaps some logging. And, of course, I'll add
many comments, because of...

>Maybe the first thing we could put under control of the new CVS-server
>at INRIA is your system - then we could immediately start debugging and
>extending it on a more public basis so that we can really use it for
>production purposes...

I will do that.

We should find then another way of communication as I assume that most readers
of the Caml list are not interested in the details of a specific software
project. As long as the number of developers is relatively small, exchange of
ordinary mail would suffice. I will place a "MAIL" file in the CVS directory
where everybody who is interested in such mails can enter his or her name.

I have already received feedback about the user interface of the database:

- Is it ok to use frames for the UI? Of course, the current functionality
  is so simple that an interface without frames would be possible. Perhaps we
  should at least provide a frameless interface for queries only.

- There should be more ways to query information. It is interestant to sort by
  the date when the entry was added to the database (or changed)

- Perhaps there should be more attributes at all: date of insertion,
  kind of project (reusable module, application, documentation, ...),
  standardized keywords that can be searched.
   It depends on how much the database is used whether these additions are
  sensible.

- Perhaps the entries should be arranged like a spreadsheet, and not as a
  list of items

I think there should be some discussion about these points

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann      Telefon: +49 6151 997705 (privat)
Viktoriastr. 100
64293 Darmstadt     EMail:   Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de (privat)
Germany