RE: Warnings in ocaml

From: Don Syme (dsyme@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 18:25:27 MET

From: Don Syme <dsyme@microsoft.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: RE: Warnings in ocaml
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:25:27 -0800

> Also it will be useful to produce warning when polymorphic comparison
> occurs.

Here's another problem: I wrote about 20,000 lines where I used the built in
equality for
a particular type (that represented terms in a theorem prover). Now I want
to implement
my own equality function on the type, and never user built-in equality. I
can see
Ocaml has generally made the right choice in not having
equality types like SML, but in this situation some sort of annotation +
warning would
be incredibly useful, since as it stands the Ocaml type system doesn't help
me find all those horrible
uses of built-in equality that I coded into my program, when you really feel
like it should...

Don

At the lab: At home:
Microsoft Research Cambridge 11 John St
St George House CB1 1DT
Cambridge, CB2 3NH, UK
Ph: +44 (0) 1223 744797 Ph: +44 (0) 1223 722244
http://research.microsoft.com/users/dsyme
email: dsyme@microsoft.com