file permission integer

From: Manuel Fahndrich (maf@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 21:33:35 MET

From: Manuel Fahndrich <maf@microsoft.com>
To: "'caml-list@inria.fr'" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: file permission integer
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:33:35 -0800

The OCAML core contains a function

        open_out_gen : open_flag list -> int -> string -> out_channel

where the integer corresponds to the file permissions set when a new file is
created. How is this integer interpreted? Does it vary from platform to
platform? (Unix vs Windows).

Similarly, under the Unix module, there is the type file_perm = int, serving
the same purpose. Are these integers interpreted with the standard Unix
octal file permission bits? How about under Windows?

If this information is described in the doc, I apologize, but I couldn't
find it.

-Manuel