Re: creating fresh objects of type 'self

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 15:10:45 MET DST

From: Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject: Re: creating fresh objects of type 'self
To: Didier.Remy@inria.fr
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:10:45 +0100 (MET DST)

> You could use an initializer to remember the "fresh" state in an instance
> variable (using {< >}), and use a copy of that instance variable
> in the method add_fresh_object.
>
> class parent = object (self : 'self)
> val mutable fresh = None
> val mutable children : 'self list = []
> method add_fresh_object =
> let Some x = fresh in children <- Oo.copy x :: children
> initializer fresh <- Some {< >}
> end;;
>
> Anyway, you have apparently found your own solution.

Ah! Yes! I hardly ever use initializers so this idea didn't come to me!
I will try to rewrite my solution and see how this fits into it...

By the way: the example should probably be rewritten as:

  class parent = object (self : 'self)
    val mutable fresh = None
    val mutable children : 'self list = []
    method private make_fresh = fresh <- Some {< >}
    method add_fresh_object =
      let Some x = fresh in
      let new_object = Oo.copy x in
      new_object#make_fresh; children <- new_object :: children
    initializer self#make_fresh
  end

This makes sure that the children, too, are able to add fresh objects
to their children list (i.e. the grandchildren).

Thanks for your hint!

Best regards,
Markus Mottl

--