RE: Graph Visualization

From: R.S. Nikhil (nikhil@crl.dec.com)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 20:26:29 MET DST

From: "R.S. Nikhil" <nikhil@crl.dec.com>
To: "'Chris Tilt'" <chris@webcriteria.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: RE: Graph Visualization
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:26:29 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01BE98B7.71E8C08E

I don't know about OCAML graph-viz tools, but some
time ago I did a search for graph-viz tools in
general, and attached below are my notes. Hope
they are of some use to you.

Nikhil
See

    http://ubista.ubi.pt/~dfis-wg/linux/apps/free-2/linux_cad.html
    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/info/graphics/graph_drawing

for lists of graph drawing tools
DaVinci graph drawing tool

    http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~davinci/

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~inform/forschung/daVinci/daVinci.html

Released for DEC OSF/1 on July 17 1998

Works great, but not sure it can handle large graphs (> 10K nodes)

GDToolkit Graph Drawing Toolkit

Available for Windows 95, Solaris, Linux but only for academic
research. Cannot be used inside a company, even for internal use,
without a commercial license.

    http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~gdt/

GraphLet: a toolkit for graph drawing editors and algorithms.
Runs on W95, WNT and Unix X11 (Solaris only?)

    http://www.uni-passau.de/Graphlet/

GraphEd graph editor. Superceded by GraphLet

    http://www.uni-passau.de/GraphEd/

dflo: Mike Wolfe's compiler dataflow graph drawing system.

Far less flexible than daVinci. "dflo" itself is more than just graph
drawing: it also takes dataflow equations, solves them, etc. However,
in the sources is a subsystem called "dg" (see files with "dg" prefix)
which is just a graph-drawing tool. If one could understand this
code, it is possible to extract a pure graph-drawing tool out of this
code.

VCG graph drawing tool.

Written for Solaris, so some amount of configuration and makefile
hacking may be necessary to run it under other platforms.

The package is supposed to be more flexible than "dflo", perhaps
producing prettier graphs, and perhaps faster.