Re: yet another signal mask patch and: what's the indended semantics?

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@trusted-logic.fr)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 10:51:47 MET DST

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:51:47 +0200
From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@trusted-logic.fr>
To: Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org>
Subject: Re: yet another signal mask patch and: what's the indended semantics?

> These patches are again incremental. I think most of the signal
> stuff is now working. Stream output isn't reentrant and thus must
> not be used in handlers.

I'm getting totally lost among your various patches, and so are most
of the readers of this list, I believe.

If you have time, it would be great if you could provide the
implementors (caml-light@inria.fr, not caml-list@inria.fr) with some
explanations of what problem you're trying to fix, and how you propose
to fix them. I know, I could just read your patches, but I'm not sure
I have the time and willingness to do so.

> Generally, what's the meaning of enter_blocking_section()/
> leave_blocking_section()?

Well, you could always read the code :-), but I'll try to explain
anyway. The intention is that a enter_blocking_section and
leave_blocking_section delimit pieces of C code that can block for
extended periods of time, but are guaranteed not to call any Caml
runtime functions (e.g. no heap allocation and no GC). This affects
both signal handling and OS-level threads:

- Signal handling is synchronous outside of enter_b_s/leave_b_s:
pending signals are just recorded, and tested from time to time by the
Caml code so that exception handlers are called only at "safe" points.
Inside enter_b_s/leave_b_s, signals will be processed immediately
by doing a C-to-Caml callback in the signal handler.

- For OS-level threads (the systhreads package), enter_b_s releases
the Caml masterlock (the one that ensures that only one thread can
execute Caml code at a time), and leave_b_s reacquires it. Again,
enter_b_s/leave_b_s bracket blocking C code that does not use the Caml
runtime, i.e. with which other Caml threads may run concurrently.

> Were they intended to be only used in
> reentrant C functions?

I've heard about three different definitions of "reentrant". What is
your question exactly?

> And what's the semantics of the Unix.xxx functions supposed to be?
> While the Single Unix C write() function never blocks are a successful
> select(), Unix.write will block until all data is written unless the
> descriptor is set to non-blocking mode.
> So far I assumed that the semantics should be the same for C and Caml-Unix
> functions with the same name. I didn't yet try to check which functions
> are merely wrappers and which implement a higher level semantics.

The Unix library was designed in pre-POSIX times (around 1991-1992),
in an environment containing a mixture of BSD Unix and System V. Some
of the wrappers tried to hide some of the semantic differences between
the two. Also, some features weren't there initially
(e.g. non-blocking mode) and were added later, perhaps not in a fully
consistent way.

Now that we have POSIX and Unix 98, it would certainly be worthwhile
to go through the library again and make it as close as possible to
the specs. Volunteers are most welcome.

> These questions make me hesitate to use O'Caml "in anger" for low level
> Unix programming.

The original goal of the Unix library wasn't to give full access to
all Unix system calls in Caml, but rather to provide a reasonable
subset for medium- to high-level systems programming.

There are some truly low-level Unix programming that you can't do with
the current Unix library, e.g. ioctl(), some signal hacks, and perhaps
some non-blocking I/O stuff. Some of those restrictions are due to
the Caml language itself (e.g. ioctl() can't be done in a type-safe
way); others, to limitations of the OCaml runtime (e.g. signal
handling is severely constrained by runtime system invariants).

One could also argue that there are POSIX features that you really
don't want to use because they are a mess and better alternative
exists (e.g. use threads, not non-blocking I/O).

- Xavier Leroy