Sys.argv with interpreter and compiler

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 14:02:45 MET DST

From: Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject: Sys.argv with interpreter and compiler
To: caml-list@inria.fr (OCAML)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:02:45 +0100 (MET DST)

Hello,

I just wondered, whether it is intentional behaviour that the array
of command line arguments ("Sys.argv") is treated exactly the same way
under the interpreter and within executables.

E.g. I want to emit an error message that includes the name of the
executable or, if the interpreter is used, the name of the script.

Wouldn't it be logically more consistent to pass the truncated array
of arguments to the script under the interpreter so that the program
always gets its name on index 0 - no matter whether it is compiled
or interpreted? - With the current version it gets the name of the
interpreter on this position.

Best regards,
Markus Mottl

--