Re: bignums?

From: Pierre Weis (weis@pauillac.inria.fr)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 19:28:43 MET DST

From: Pierre Weis <weis@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: bignums?
To: skaller@maxtal.com.au (John Skaller)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:28:43 +0200 (MET DST)

> I need an Ocaml multiple precision arithmetic package. I'd like to try
> using an existing interface if possible, to say wrapping
> my own bignums package.

The ``num'' library is distributed with O'Caml; it provides an
efficient multiprecision arithmetics package for integers and rational
numbers. It is well interfaced to the Caml system and well
debugged. If you need rational arithmetics, this package is probably
more convenient (and very often much more efficient) than a usual
rational arithmetics package (such as GMP), since the ``num'' library
gives you the full control over the rational numbers normalisation
strategy that is so important to get efficient computation with
rational numbers.

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://cristal.inria.fr/~weis/