Re: Imperative list operations

From: Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/caml/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 16:35:23 MET DST

To: caml-list@inria.fr
From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+lists/caml/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: Imperative list operations
Date: 15 Sep 1999 10:35:23 -0400

> I need a double-ended queue implementation. The lists
> can get very long, so I would like to use imperative operations to
> change the links.

Since my O'Caml is very approximate, I'll answer with a non-answer:
have you tried a purely functional (but asymptotically efficient)
deque ? Those don't suffer from the length of the queue.

Chris Okasaki has an interesting set of such purely functional data-structures,
with sample code in SML (and/or Haskell) which should be easy to translate to
O'Caml. Check out, for example http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cdo/jfp95/

        Stefan