Re: Ocamlopt for R4000?

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 15:22:24 MET DST

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:22:24 +0200
From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: Ken Wakita <Ken.Wakita@is.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: Ocamlopt for R4000?

> Thank you very much for your information.
>
> We already met the signal handling problem and tried to fix it. The
> thing even worse is that the assembler that comes with Cenju-4 does not
> accept 64bit code. It might be the case that the MPU version is
> R3000???

Probably not, but all MIPS processors can be run in R3000
compatibility mode, where the 64-bit instructions are not accessible
and there are only 16 64-bit floating-point registers. (This is what
SGI calls the "o32" model under IRIX.) It seems like your machine is
doing this.

The ocamlopt compiler used to produce "o32" code, but then SGI IRIX
phased out "o32", forcing us to switch to the new "n32" code model.

You have basically two options at this point:

- See whether the assembler/linker/C compiler on your machine can be
  configured for a code model similar to IRIX's "n32". (On IRIX,
  cc, as and ld have command-line options and environment variables
  that let the programmer choose the code model.)

- Downgrade OCaml to version 2.01, which still contains support for
  the "o32" code model.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy