Re: Stdlib regularity

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 18:18:42 MET DST

From: Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject: Re: Stdlib regularity
To: orodeh@cs.cornell.edu (Ohad Rodeh)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:18:42 +0100 (MET DST)

> I have used OCaml extensively in the past few years, and I've had
> some misgivings about the CAML standard library argument ordering. It
> is a little bit confusing and not standard. For example:

Although the standard library is quite ok, there are some (minor)
inconsistencies. What concerns my wishes for it, I'd love to see more
features (= functions or even modules).

At the moment I am not always linking against the standard library,
but I use own modules, which I have extended a bit, because I
need some important features all of the time (e.g. why is there no
"partition"-function in the set-module?).

What do you think about this proposal: why not put a version of the
standard library on the CVS-server of INRIA, where volunteers can
contribute extensions, replacements, new modules, etc.?

>From time to time, the maintainers of OCaml might want to take a look at
the diffs to the original library and merge some (all?) of the goodies
into the main branch. I can imagine that you have a lot of patches which
are just waiting to be uploaded...

Best regards,
Markus Mottl

--