Re: speed versus C

From: Damien Doligez (Damien.Doligez@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 15:21:39 MET DST

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:21:39 +0200
From: Damien Doligez <Damien.Doligez@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: speed versus C

>From: skaller <skaller@maxtal.com.au>

> However, C++ allows finalisation and ocaml doesn't,
>which is a serious problem in ocaml when it is needed.
>
> I would very much like to see some discussion by ocaml experts
>(not me!) leading to a standard solution to this problem, probably

As far as I can tell, you've been asking for three things:

1. Efficient finalization, with finalization functions written in O'Caml.
2. Correct finalization of circular references.
3. Immediate finalization: as soon as a value becomes unreachable, the
   finalization function is called.

I don't know how to get all three together. It is likely that we'll
have 1 and 2 in a future release of O'Caml.

-- Damien