Re: 32 bit integers

From: John Prevost (prevost@maya.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 02:00:12 MET DST

To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: 32 bit integers
From: John Prevost <prevost@maya.com>
Date: 21 Oct 1999 20:00:12 -0400

Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> writes:

> See for instance J.-C. Filliatre's "Int32" library,
> http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/ftp/ocaml/int32/
> (although I object to the name of that library -- on an Alpha, it
> implements 64-bit integers...)

I found this implementation to be terribly slow (even slower than the
bignum stuff in many cases.) Any idea why this is? Is it just
because of the extra dereference, or is it because the compiler uses
better code for "primitive" type operations like int addition than it
does for other types? (This second was my guess.) Is there any way
to make this kind of extension work better?

John.