Undefined labels

From: William Chesters (williamc@dai.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 10:54:11 MET

From: William Chesters <williamc@dai.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:54:11 +0100 (CET)
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Undefined labels

skaller writes:
> I am getting an undefined label error.
> I know why. I do not know how to fix the problem:
>
> (Unix.fstat argument).st_kind

You want (Unix.fstat argument).Unix.st_kind

(Is this in the docs? I found it once when looking at the camlp4 parser.)

This is definitely one of those cases where type inference doesn't
seem such a good idea ... it feels so like K&R C, sometimes having to
fall back on giving labels little prefixes ... I wonder if some kind
of inference would be possible, not going the whole way to the
tag-based system used for classes, but at least something that
maintains a set of hypotheses consistent with the labels used in
connection with a value, which could then be narrowed down
contextually.