Findfirst / findnext Caml equivalents

From: skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 19:18:56 MET

Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 05:18:56 +1100
From: skaller <skaller@maxtal.com.au>
To: Hendrik Tews <tews@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
Subject: Re: "nested" parsers

Hendrik Tews wrote:

> Georges Mariano writes:
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 13:25:04 +0000
> Subject: "nested" parsers
>
> It appears that we can divide the language L in a few "sub"-languages.
> Let's say that L3 <: L2 <: L1 = L ('<:' included in )
>
> And we would like to have one entry point for each language
> in our parser.
>
> ocamlyacc generates a parsing function for echa start symbol that
> you declare in the grammar file. Therefore the easiest way (if
> possible) is that you rewrite your grammar, such that for each of
> the languages Ln you have one metasymbol, which generates this
> language. Then you include several start directives in the header
> of the grammar file.

        But it isn't clear how to invoke these sublanguages
recursively, from with an action associated with a reduce
operation for the very sublanguage which we wanted a separate
parser for.

        For example, the Python language can conveniently
be divided into two distinct languages: a statement language
and an expression language. Certainly, I can have a non-terminal
for statements, and one for expressions, and make both entry
points --- and in my parser for Python I do just that.

        But that isn't what I want to do.
What I actually want is a recursive transition machine corresponding
to a meta-grammar (RHS of productions can be regular expressions;
for example, BNF]

        This can be organised by a finite state automaton in which
a non-terminal transition pushes down the whole automaton,
and starts a new one corresponding to the RHS of the production
defining the non-terminal labelling the arc being followed.

        Chosing the right arc is the hard bit. If the first sets
of all the arcs out of a node are known, the number of trial
parses can be reduced -- to one, if the first sets are disjoint.

--
John Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia