Re: Module hierarchy revisited

From: Christian Lindig (lindig@is.gaertner.de)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 23:17:19 MET

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:17:19 +0100
From: Christian Lindig <lindig@is.gaertner.de>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: Module hierarchy revisited

> With directory as modules support we use the cleaner first aproach,
> as well as avoiding any name clashes.
>
> This will become more and more a concern as ocaml support grows
> larger.

I would like to support the proposed mapping of module hierarchies to
directory hierarchies. It allows for a nice integration of many of
the existing caml code (like pcre, Chris Okasaki's data structures,
XLib to name just a few) into a contrib hierarchy.

Let's learn from the Perl, Java, and Python communities which managed
to build a very large code base for their respective system.
Maintenance of such a code base could (and probably would) be
independent from the OCaml compiler and its standard library once the
top level modules are fixed.

To summarize: I'd like to see such a feature in OCaml 3.

-- Christian

--
 Christian Lindig       Gaertner Datensysteme GbR, Braunschweig,  Germany
                        http://www.gaertner.de/~lindig lindig@gaertner.de