Re: Plea for inline expansion of transcendentals.

From: David McClain (dmcclain@azstarnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 05:17:23 MET

From: "David McClain" <dmcclain@azstarnet.com>
To: "Xavier Leroy" <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>,
Subject: Re: Plea for inline expansion of transcendentals.
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:17:23 -0700

I can appreciate the desire to keep the language pure and proper, but I must
say that in nearly 30 years of experience I have never been tempted to take
the sin of 2^64. I would suggest that an inline version of the basic
transcendentals be made available along the same lines that unsafe_get and
unsafe_set are made available for array access. They are inlined for speed,
and provide little or no error checking. Their use is flagged by the
prominent "unsafe" prefix in the source text, and the option is available to
the end user as to when to use them....

- DM