How do I ..

From: skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 08:02:34 MET

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:02:34 +1100
From: skaller <skaller@maxtal.com.au>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: How do I ..

I'm confused:

       Objective Caml version 2.99 (99/12/08)

# let f (lx:x : int) = x + 1;;
Syntax error

Here, I have an argument x, a label lx, and a type declaration int.
What's the error? Can't I both label an argument, and also type it?

The whitespace rule is a bit weird .. but it makes some sense,
when compared with 'a for a type variable: the ' must come
right in front of the a, with no white space, so I guess
I can live with lablx:x as a labelled argument .. :-)

At first, I got really confused by the difference between
a label, and the name of the argument. Until I realised,
you can't use the name of the argument as a label, because
it would imply all arguments were labelled. In the tutorial,
it would be nice to replace ambiguous examples like:

        let f x:x ...

where I can't tell which x is which, with

        let f xlabl:xparam ..

where the names clearly suggest what is what.

--
John Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia