GC compaction question

From: Ohad Rodeh (orodeh@cs.huji.ac.il)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 10:05:54 MET

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:05:54 +0200 (IST)
From: Ohad Rodeh <orodeh@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject: GC compaction question

Hello,
  I examined the GC compaction code and could not figure
something out. Does the program stop while GC compaction is
performed?

  From the papers on the OCaml garbage collector I understand that
the main program, and its threads (if there are any), do not stop for
while GC is taking place. However, the papers do not discuss compaction.
This makes sense, as compaction is a new feature.

My question is: does the program stop for compaction?

   Thanks,
        Ohad.