Immutable arrays (modest Feature request)

From: Thorsten Ohl (ohl@hep.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 16:45:42 MET

    I've always wondered why O'Caml has no notion of immutable arrays or
    vectors. (Mutable) Arrays are often inconvenient because callers and
    callees must negotiate who is doing the copying. A conservative
    approach will do too many copies.

    Semantically, a vector of size n would be a record with
    labels 0,...,n-1 and with O(1) access. One would initialize them from
    a constant (e.g. let v = [{ 42; 137; 1789 }]), a list, an array, or a
    function. Updates would be requested by [{ v with 2 = 2000 }] and most
    of the Array and List library is useful for vectors.

    I admit that this is theoretically not very exciting (except for the
    question when the `with' must copy and when not), but rather useful.

    Cheers,
    -Thorsten

    --
    Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TU Darmstadt -- ohl@hep.tu-darmstadt.de