Re: Q: camlp4 use?

From: Gerard Huet (Gerard.Huet@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:22:24 MET

    I use camlp4 for linguistic engineering. I found the facility for writing
    lexical and syntactic analysers very well designed and well integrated in the
    language, making it convenient to document in one single formalism a
    complex parsing process involving many transducers and grammars.
    The implementation of streams on which camlp4 relies is very efficient, one
    may
    parse several megabytes of data without memory leaks with closures.

    As a side effect, I got used to the "revised" syntax, which is more regular
    and less error-prone than the standard one. It would be neat if some
    convention could be agreed on (such as an optional formated initial
    comment) such that the compiler and other metatheoretical tools would
    automatically apply the proper preprocessing without having to write it in
    the Makefile.

    On the other hand, a good documentation ought to be written if one wants to
    promote a wider use of camlp4 and stream-based parsers.

    Gérard Huet