inlining functions called through functor parameters?

From: Stephan Houben (stephan@pcrm.win.tue.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 10:34:47 MET

    Hello list,

    While searching the Caml mailing list archive, I found
    a message from Xavier Leroy, posted on Tue Jun 23 1998,
    in which he describes the fact that:
    "... it is true that functions taken from the
     functor parameter are always called via their closures".

    I was wondering if this is still true (since 1998 is a long
    time ago, in internet time at least), and if there are any plans
    to implement more inlining for such functions.
    The reason I ask is because I'm writing a couple of modules where
    lots of small funtions are called via a functor parameter, and
    I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to inline them "by hand".

    Greetings,

    Stephan Houben